Orthodontics is a special branch of dentistry that focuses on correcting irregularities of the teeth and jaws.
Orthodontics can correct bite problems such as:
• Overbite: When front teeth extend over the bottom teeth
• Underbite: When bottom teeth stick out over the front teeth
• Crossbite: When one or more upper teeth or side teeth bite down on the inside of the
• Open bite: When there are spaces in the front or sides of your teeth when the back teeth
• Misplaced midline: When the center of the top teeth do not line up with the center of the
Untreated bite irregularities can lead to problems with the jaw and joint, TMJ, speech and
chewing, gum disease, and premature wearing down of certain teeth.
Orthodontists can also correct dental problems such as:
• Spacing irregularities: Gaps between the teeth, which can leave the gums at higher risk of
• Crowding: When the jaw isn’t big enough for the teeth, which can result in crooked teeth
that are difficult to clean and may lead to cavities and gum disease
If you feel that you or your child could benefit from orthodontic work, ask your dentist what they